Wednesday 10 March 2010

Mosley: If I Wobble Mayweather, You Will See a Knockout

WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley would like nothing more than to knock Floyd Mayweather Jr. out on May 1 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Mosley will switch-hit that night. He plans to put on a boxing clinic, switching from boxer to puncher at any time. If Mosley manages to get Mayweather in trouble, he will do everything in his power to close the show. He won't let Mayweather off the hook.

“I'd love to win by knockout, so if I catch him with a good shot and he wobbles, we’ll see a knockout, but if that doesn’t happen, I’ll have to do whatever it takes to beat Floyd round by round,” Mosley was quoted as saying by Doug Fischer of ringtv.com

Mosley will press the action. Most opponents press Mayweather, the master counter-puncher, but the Floyd is also a defensive wizard. Mosley is planning for all of Mayweather's tricks.

“There’s a lot of things I can do,” Mosley answered. “I’m not going to do just one thing. I’m not just going to press him, or look for a knockout. My job is to be prepared for everything that Mayweather does that night. This is my chance to show people that I’m a complete boxer with skill, defense and footwork. This my chance to prove that I‘m the best welterweight in the world.”

Naazim Richardson, getting a rep as one of the best trainers in the sport, is helping Mosley put together a plan for the win. Mosley told Fischer that Naazim is reviewing hours of footage on Mayweather and listing every mistake he sees.

“Richardson is already studying tapes on Mayweather,” Mosley said. “He’s up all night watching film. In the morning he’ll say ‘Let’s go watch it.’ Naazim has a long history with Mayweather. He remembers watching him back in the amateurs. Floyd’s got the same basic style but it has changed over the years. As a lightweight, he was more on his toes and he was busier. As he’s become heavier he’s become more flat footed and more of a pot shotter.”

No comments:

Post a Comment